Born in Italy on May, 2, 1966
Observatory of Nice
B.P. 4229, 06304 Nice Cedex 4
*Master degree in
Physics at the University of Milan (Italy) - 1988
*Ph. D. in Mathematics
at the University FUNDP of Namur (Belgium) - 1991
Title: Researcher in
Astronomy (permanent position)
-- Conseil National de la Rescherche Scientifique
Observatoire de la Cote d'Azur,
-Small Body dynamics
-Solar System formation
-Theory of Hamiltonian
*Young Scientist Scientific
Award: European Geophysical
*Bronze medal: C.N.R.S.,
Letter of Commendation, 1996.
*asteroid 5596 1991PQ10
named Morbidelli, 1996.
*Urey prize of the Division
for Planetary Sciences of the A.A.S., 2000.
*Grand Prix Mergier-Bourdeix
of the French Academy of Science, 2009
*Grand Prix Doyen Lepine de la Ville de Nice, 2014.
*Elected Associate Member of the Royal Academy of Belgium, 2014.
*Elected Associate Member of the French Academy of Sciences 2015.
for papers on dynamics (since Jan. 2000)
* Associate editor of
Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy (since Jan. 2001)
* Director of the French National Programme for Planetary Science (PNP) (2010-2018)
* Correspondent member of Bureau des Longitudes
* Deputy Director of Laboratoire Lagrange, Nice (2012-2015); Acting director (2015)
* President of IAU commission 7 (2012-2015)
of the book The
Solar System Beyond Neptune (Univ. Arizona Press)
* referee for Icarus,
Journal, Physica D,
and Astropysics, Planetary and Space Science,
and Planetary Science, Science,Nature,
for the OSS and PGG programs of NASA.
*co-organizer of Session
PS10 of the EGS Assembly
(Nice, April 20, 1998).
*member of the Scientific
Organization Committee of:
Celestial Mechanics Workshop (Poznan, Poland, July 2000)
school of C.N.R.S.
Chronology of Solar System formation
(Les Houches, France, January 2001)
school of C.N.R.S.
of Solar System formation II
(Aussois, France, February 2004)
school of C.N.R.S.
of Solar System formation IV
(Les Houches, France, February 2009)
school of C.N.R.S.
of Solar System formation V
(Les Houches, France, February 2013)
and Planets V, (Hawaii, 2005) and VI (Heidelberg, 2013)
TNO meeting (Catania 2006)
40th ESLAB symposium "Impact cratering in the Solar System" (ESTEC, May
IAU Symposium 236 "Near Earth Objects, our Celestial Neighbors: Opportunity
and Risk" (Prague, 2006)
NOBEL symposium "Physics of Planetary Systems" (2007)
Planet-Z conference `Origin
and Evolution of planets', Ascona (Italy), 2008.
Institute Programme `Dynamics of Discs and Planets', Cambridge, Aug. 12
- Dec 18. 2009.
2010, Philadelphia, June 2010
- Extreme Solar Systems II, September 2011
- IAU symposium "Complex Planetary Systems", Namur (Belgium), 2014.
- ISSI meeting "The Delivery of Water to Proto-planets, Planets and Satellites", 2016
* Co-organizer of the Programme `Dynamics of Discs and Planets' of Newton Institute, Cambridge (UK) (2009).
scientist for the phase-A study of the EUNEOS
mission, an ESA
mission for the
discovery of Near Earth Asteroids.
* chair of the
Local Organizing Committee of the 2004
meeting of the
Division on Dynamical Astronomy
of the American Astronomical Society
of the SOC of ASSNA(Action
Specifique Simulations Numeriques en Astronomie)
of the TAC of the CFH
of the scientific council of the Marseille-Provence
Observatory (2005-2007), of IMCCE
and Cassiopee (since 2008)
of the evaluation committee of IMCCE (2004)
of the evaluation committees of : Observatoire
de Paris, LAOG (2005), LGL-TPL (2015)
of CSA (Commission Specialisee en Astronomie)(2006, 2010-)
of the Solar System Working Group of CNES (since
of the Committee of theDivision
on Dynamical Astronomy of the AmericanAstronomical Society(2006-2007);
of the Brouwer award selection committee (2007)
of the "Exo-Planet Roadmap Advisory Team" of ESA (2008-2009)
Member of the prize selection committee of the DPS (2009-2010)
Member of the visiting committee of the Division of Geological and Planetary
Sciences at Caltech (2010)
Member of the visiting committee of Carnegie's Department for Terrestrial Magnetism (2015)
* Member of the "Haut Conseil Scientifique" of Paris Observatory (2012-2014)
* Member of the ANR committee CE31 (2016-)
* Coordinator of the Center for Planetary Origin (C4PO)
Teaching and Advisor responsibilities- Master lectures on Celestial
Mechanics, University of Nice - Sophia Antipolis (1993-1997)
- Master lectures on Planet
Formation, University of Nice - Sophia Antipolis (2008-)
- Cycle of lectures "Secular
dyanimcs of the small bodies of the Solar System" (6h), Observatory of
- Cycle of lectures "Solar System
Small Bodies" (5h), Observatory of Rio de Janeiro (2001)
- Cycle of lectures "origin and evolution of planeetary systems" (4.5h) Como and Vilnus, 2016
- Cycle of lectures (3h) "Solar system formation and early evolution", ISSS Course on Planetary Interiors, September 2016
- Ph.D. advisor/co-advisor of:
Thomas (1994-1998; advisor)
Locatelli (1995-1999; co-advisor)
Crida (2003-2007; advisor)
J. Szulagyi (2013-; advisor)
- Post Doc. advisor
Gladman (1996-1997 and 1998-1999)
Nesvorny (1998-1999 and 2000-2001)
S. Marchi (2010-2011)
B. Bitsch (2011-2013)
S. Jacobson (2013-)
A. Izidoro da Costa (2013-2014)
K. Pahlevan (2013-2015)
M. Ogihara (2014-2016)
M. Lambrechts (2015-)
Invited lectures in international
Chaotic behaviour (NATO ASI advanced research workshop),
Torun, Poland, 1993;
Snowbird, Utah, 1995;
*4th A. von Humboldt
Colloquium, Ramsau, Austria, 1996;
*Kuiper Belt Workshop,
Toronto, Canada, 1996;
*IAU colloquium No.
165, Poznan, Poland, 1996;
*Asteroid Comets Meteors
'96, Versailles, France, 1996;
the long view, 9th Blois international meeting, Blois, France, 1997;
Planets and Small Bodies, Joint Discussion,
IAU general assembly,
Kyoto, Japan, 1997;
*1st Rio de Janeiro
international workshop on Planetary Sciences, Rio de Janeiro,
*The impact of modern
dynamics in astronomy, IAU colloquium No. 172, Namur,
*Evolution and Source
regions of Asteroids and Comets, IAU colloquium No. 173,
Slovak Republic, 1998;
*Asteroid Comets Meteors
Ithaca, U.S.A., 1999;
Abano, Italy, 1999;
Mechanics workshop, Poznan, Poland, 2000;
*DPS Meeting, Pasadena,
Ca, USA, 2000;
Space Collaboration. A.I.A.A. workshop, Seville,Spain, 2001;
Palermo, Italy, 2001;
*Formation of Solar
Systems, Gordon Conference, Connecticut, USA, 2001.
meeting, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, USA, 2001.
meeting, Nice, France, 2002
workshop (Antofagasta, Chile, 2003)
Budapest, Hungaria, 2003
geometry of Nature, Kazan, Russia, 2003
program "Planet Formation: Terrestrial and Extra-Solar", Santa Barbara,
of Planetary Systems, Harvard, USA, 2004
meeting, Paris, France, 2004
Colloquium 197 "Dynamics of populations of planetary systems", Belgrade,
Advanced Course on "Trans-Neptunian Objects and Comets", Wengen, Switzerland,
2005, Liege, Belgium, 2005
Planets V, Hawaii, 2005
meeting (Catania 2006)
*40th ESLAB symposium
"Impact cratering in the Solar System" (ESTEC, May 2006)
*IAU Symposium 236
"Near Earth Objects, our Celestial Neighbors: Opportunity and Risk" (Prague,
* Planetary Science:
challenges and discoveries (Blois, 2006)
* ESO workshop "Observing
Planetary Systems" (Santiago, 2007)
* Division of Dynamical
Astronomy meeting (Ann Harbour, 2007)
* Nobel Symposium "Physics
of Planetary Systems", (Stockholm, 2007)
* Goldschmidt conference,
plenary session (Cologne, 2007)
of Planetary Science meeting (Orlando, 2007)
* Workshop `Chronology
of meteorites and the early Solar System', Kauai (2007)
international conference "Origin and Evolution of Planets" (Ascona, 2008)
ESLAB symposium "Cosmic Cataclysm and Life" (ESRIN, 2008)
TIARA workshop on DIM KBOS (Taiwan, 2008)
LinFest conference (60th anniversary of D. Lin celebration), Prato, June
MetSoc Conference (Nancy, 2009)
IAU symposium "Icy bodies of the Solar System" (Rio de Janeiro, 2009)
IAU Symposium nr. 269 "Galileo's Medicean Moons: their Impact on 400 years
of Discovery", Padova, January, 2010.
* ESF Conference "Putting
Our Solar System in Context: Origin, Dynamical and Physical Evolution of
Multiple Planet Systems", Austria, April, 2010
Topics in Dynamical Systems and Partial Differential Equations", Barcelona,
* Workshop in honor of P. Farinella, Pisa, June 2010
* Europlanet Science
Conference, Rome, September 2010.
* XV Brazilian Colloquium of Orbital
Dynamics, Theresopolis (BR), Dec. 2010
* The 15th International Conference
on Gravitational Microlensing, Salerno, Jan 2011.
* WE-Heraeus Seminar
on Extrasolar Planets, Bad Honnef, June 2011.
* ORIGINS 2011, Montpellier,
* Gordon Conference on the origins of solar systems, Mt. Holyoke
College, July 2011.
* Observing Planetary Systems, ESO, Santiago, March 2012
* Goldschmidt conference, section "Chemical and isotopic constraints on planetary accretion and differentiation", Montreal, June 2012.
* Conference: “Planet formation and evolution”, Munich, September 2012
* Royal Society Meeting on Extrasolar Planets, London, March 2013
* Royal Society Meeting on Moon Origin, London, September, 2013
* First Cospar Symposium, Bangkok, November 2013.
* Invited lecture at "Academie Royale de Belgique", January 11, 2014
* ELSI workshop "Origin and Evolution of the Earth-Life System.", Tokyo, March 2014
* ACM, Helsinki, June 2014
* Characterizing Planetary Systems Across the HR Diagram, Cambridge (UK), July 2014.
* Lobanov-Rostovsky Lecture, Oxford (UK), Decembeer 2014.
* International Workshop in Jacques Laskar's honour, Paris, Arpil 2015.
* Workshop "Formation of the Solar System II", Berlin, June 2015.
* IAU FM318 « Highlights in the exploration of Small Worlds », Honolulu, August, 2015.
* COSPAR symposium, Iguazu, Nov. 9-13, 2015
* Workshop "Planet formation and Evolution", Duisburg, March 2016
* Workshop "Primitive material in the solar system II", Villefranche sur Mer, juin, 2016
* Royal Society Discussion Meeting: Cometary Science after Rosetta, June 2016
* Lorentz workshop "New Directions in planet formation", July, 2016
* COMETS 2016, Toulouse, Nov. 2016
* Gordon conference, Mount Holyo, June 2017
refereed publications in international journals (see list)
review papers (see list)
12196 citations and H-factor=58 (source ADS Jan 2, 2017)
-1 book: Modern
Celestial Mechanics; Aspects of Solar System Dynamics. Taylor
& Francis/Cambridge Scientific Publishers.
THE BOOK IS SOLD OUT. DOWNLOAD A FREE POSTSCRIPT OR PDF COPY!
Mt. Rosa (4550mt) - Italy- Sept. 2000
Mt.Blanc (4808mt) - France- June 2004
OUR GROUP'S WEBPAGE
ON NEAR EARTH OBJECTS
ON THE SUMMIT OF MT. BLANC (slides:
OF OUR TRIP IN THE ATACAMA DESERT after the EKB workshop
OF ANOTHER Mt BLANC EXPEDITION unfortunately aborted at the Maudit Col
HIKING AT CALANQUES (.ppt)
SOLAR ECLIPSE IN LIBIA (.ppt)
TRIP AROUND SANTIAGO (.ppt)
ALASKA 2008 (.pdf)
YELLOWSTONE 2008 (.pdf)
PANTANAL & FERNANDO DE NORONHA
KENYA and TANZANIA 2010 (.pdf)
VERDUN l'imbut 2011 (.pdf)
QUEBEC 2011 (.pdf)
LANZAROTE 2012 (.pdf)
TORRES DEL PAINE (.pdf)
SVALBARD (short diaporama with music .wmv, full iaporama .pdf)
West LYSKAMM (.mp4)
SKI TOURING IN ATOMFJELLA (SVALBARD) (.mp4)
KAYAKING IN THE TROMSO REGION (.mp4)